General questions

Answered

Does the SDK support E Ink devices?

I'm considering developing a note application for the Boox Max 3 pen and touch-enabled device. It runs Android 9 and features an E Ink display and good specs CPU-wise. I noticed a tweet recently mentioning that the new Remarkable 2 uses MyScript technology so I thought it'd be worth asking if the SDK you offer has support for E Ink. Onyx has an SDK for the Boox devices on GitHub, but it's not clear if it would be possible to integrate your tech with theirs.

I'd appreciate any information you might have with regards to this.

Adrian

Best Answer

Dear Adrian,

Actually, the current E-ink screens have a certain latency time ; this is an hardware constraint, and you then understand nothing can be done to have a more reactive display.

You may of course guve a try to our iink SDK using an E-ink scree,n, but nothing can be done at present to improve the latency of the screen.

Best regards,

Olivier

Dear Adrian,

thank you for contacting us and the interest you show to our technology.

Remarkable is indeed using our technology, but the Cloud one, i.e. all the ink is sent to a server that uses our technology.

The question is rather: Do you want to process ink in "off-screen" mode, i.e. you get the strokes, process these, and display the result, or use the "interactve mode", such as done in our Nebo application.

Indeed, if you want to use the "off-screen mode", our iink SDK will work without any diifculty ; if using the "interactive mode" one difficulty is that there is significant latency, which makes the use-experience not satifsfying.

Let us know if this answers your questions.

Best regards,

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

I think I'd be interested to play with both off-screen and interactive modes to see how they perform on this device. I'm not sure you've seen any inking videos for the Max 3, but it's quite responsive (see https://youtu.be/uPb5BgB7frY?t=307 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYfTL4S-3l0, for example). Maybe you're talking about the latency that Android apps which aren't e-Ink optimized show when using them with these display types. e.g. OneNote is pretty bad that way and so is LectureNotes - you write something and the display updates only after a few words are written and the stylus is lifted. So my question back to you is "Does your SDK have any hooks that could allow rendering optimized for e-Ink screens to be used rather than using standard Android buffer drawing?".

Thanks

Answer

Dear Adrian,

Actually, the current E-ink screens have a certain latency time ; this is an hardware constraint, and you then understand nothing can be done to have a more reactive display.

You may of course guve a try to our iink SDK using an E-ink scree,n, but nothing can be done at present to improve the latency of the screen.

Best regards,

Olivier