iink SDK on Device

Answered

Uncaught exception in UIReferenceImplementation

We ran into a crash issue that we traced to an uncaught exception in UIReferenceImplementation.

The error is "java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to get length of null array" in the first line of SmartGuideView's computeModificationOfWords.

It would appear that the function is being called with oldWords set to null, causing the exception when it tries to get the length of oldWords with 

int len1 = oldWords.length;

We caught this error after randomly using iink for about 30 minutes, so we unfortunately don't have a sure method to reproduce it for now.

Do you have any suggestion to deal with this issue?

Thank you!

Best Answer

Dear Nicolas,

thank you for all the information.

What is puzzling is that there is normally no reason the "oldWords" variable of the computeModificationOfWords woudl be null, and I am afraid we would not be able to reproduce.

I just did few tries on my side, and a quick workaround I came up with is simply to check the oldWords variable, and if the latter is null, simply return.

private void computeModificationOfWords(SmartGuideWord[] words, SmartGuideWord[] oldWords)
{
if(oldWords==null)
  {
return;
  }

Normally, the "words" global variable should be re-updated later, and thus there should not have any major impact.

Let me know if this helps on your side.

Best regards,

Olivier

Dear Nicolas,

thank you for contacting us.

Do you happen to have the full logcat?

Indeed, after checking our bug tracker tool, 2 issues with error message "Attempt to get length of null array" have already been raised, and solved. Having the full error message will allow us to know if the issue is solved or if it is a new one. If a new one, an exact scenario would be of help.

Best regards,

Olivier

Thank you Olivier.

Here is the full log. I edited out the package name to keep the privacy of our client.

E/AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: Thread-57232
    Process: com.a.a, PID: 653
    java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to get length of null array
        at com.myscript.iink.uireferenceimplementation.SmartGuideView.computeModificationOfWords(SmartGuideView.java:625)
        at com.myscript.iink.uireferenceimplementation.SmartGuideView.update(SmartGuideView.java:530)
        at com.myscript.iink.uireferenceimplementation.SmartGuideView.contentChanged(SmartGuideView.java:377)
        at com.myscript.iink.Editor$3.accept(Editor.java:152)
        at com.myscript.iink.Editor$3.accept(Editor.java:148)
        at com.myscript.iink.ListenerList.forEach(ListenerList.java:50)
        at com.myscript.iink.Editor.contentChanged(Editor.java:147)

We are using version 1.4.1 of UIReferenceImplementation and iink SDK from github.

Answer

Dear Nicolas,

thank you for all the information.

What is puzzling is that there is normally no reason the "oldWords" variable of the computeModificationOfWords woudl be null, and I am afraid we would not be able to reproduce.

I just did few tries on my side, and a quick workaround I came up with is simply to check the oldWords variable, and if the latter is null, simply return.

private void computeModificationOfWords(SmartGuideWord[] words, SmartGuideWord[] oldWords)
{
if(oldWords==null)
  {
return;
  }

Normally, the "words" global variable should be re-updated later, and thus there should not have any major impact.

Let me know if this helps on your side.

Best regards,

Olivier

> Indeed, after checking our bug tracker tool, 2 issues with error message "Attempt to get length of null array" have already been raised, and solved. 

Regarding the previous issues. You said those issues have been solved, but are the fixes included in version 1.4.1 of the iink SDK for Android?

Thank you!

Dear Nicolas,

yes, I confirm the fixes are in the 1.4.1.

It is likley you are facing another behavior.

Best regards,

Olivier

1 person likes this