Developers looking for developers

Wacom pen-tab recognition problem

I would like to use MyScript with Wacom Intuos Pro (PTH-660) digital tablet.

Included with the tablet it was given the touch pen (Wacom Pro Pen 2), without ink, which works regularly with MyScript. I would like to be able to use another pen, purchased separately (Wacom Ballpoint Pen, KP13300D), with ink.

This pen is not detected by MyScript. Would there be any way to be able to use the pen with ink?

Also, I wanted to ask if it would be possible to get the confidence levels with which letters are recognized by MyScript.

I am working in collaboration with the University of Genoa (Italy) for a thesis. If there is a need to pay in order to get these values, I would contact the university.

Thank you.
Matteo Lechner

Hello Matteo,

Thank you for contacting us.

We are not familiar with the two pens you are referring to, neither with the Wacom Intuos Pro, but as far as we understand:

• The Wacom Pro Pen 2 is an active pen, for this reason you can use the MyScript iink Demo out of the box, as the Demo supports active pens: when using the active pen on the device, the touch and pen events are handled by the iink Demo inputController and the strokes are sent to the iink SDK Editor.
  • You are referring to the (Wacom Ballpoint Pen, KP13300D) as an ink pen: so you mean you write with it on a special paper and the coordinates are sent to your Wacom Intuos Pro in real time and the ink strokes are rendered on the device? This is probably the reason why you can't have the Demo work with this stylus: you have to adapt the Demo so that when writing with the pen the pen strokes are sent to the iink SDK Editor as well.

Regarding your second question about the confidence levels with which letters are recognized by MyScript: there is no score associated to letter recognition. But if in the Demo you enable the "export.jiix.text.chars" configuration parameter, iJIIX export will include the detailed characters information. So you will get the list of letter candidates ordered by their recognition rate: the 1st candidate being the most likely one.

For more details, please refer to https://developer.myscript.com/docs/interactive-ink/2.3/reference/jiix/#character-object

Best regards,

Gwenaëlle

1 person likes this

As for the Wacom Ballpoint Pen, it is just as you say: a pen with special ink that allows the Wacom Intuos Pro to detect pen tip coordinates in real time.

So is it possible to change the code and allow use of the Wacom Ballpoint Pen in MyScript, since it is not an active pen?
In what way?

In the code, I find no "export.jiix.text.chars" parameter to enable to export detailed character information, nor any classes or export objects that define what is displayed.

Hi Matteo,

Thank you for your update.

The UIReferenceImplementation of the Demo samples is licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0. So you can update its to send the strokes of the  Wacom Ballpoint Pen to the Editor.

We  don't know the way this pen strokes are sent to the Wacom tablet, so  this is something you should find out. Then once you know how to get the  strokes coordinates, you can update our Demo code to transmit them to  the Editor.

The "export.jiix.text.chars" parameter is a configuration parameter that you can set with the configuration APIs: see for instance

https://developer.myscript.com/docs/interactive-ink/2.3/android/fundamentals/editing/#editor-level-configuration

Best regards,

Gwenaëlle

Hi Gwenaëlle,

For the export.jiix.text.chars parameter, we managed to solve it.

Instead, regarding the pen, do we need to modify some code or write some new code?The Wacom Ballpoint Pen is an ordinary pen, but it has a magnetic ink that is detected by the Wacom Intuos Pro tablet. Looking online at MyScript documentations, we saw that we could consider it as a passive pen, so use the PointerType parameter by setting it to TOUCH.
We can't figure out whether we should modify the existing code or add a method.

Best regards,
Matteo

Hi Matteo,

Thank you for your update. 

To make sure that we understand correctly what you want to achieve, could you please detail a little bit on what you mean by "Included with the tablet it was given the touch pen (Wacom Pro Pen 2), without ink, which works regularly with MyScript. "

What do you mean by "works regularly with MyScript." ? Which MyScript code are you able to run? and on which device?

Best regards,

Gwenaëlle

Login or Signup to post a comment