iink SDK Web

Answered

How to detect handwriting orientation (landscape)

I'm using digital impression devices to get X/Y coordinates of the writing, and I'm adding them to the editor using:
editorElement.editor.pointerEvents(pointerEventsObject)

The problem is if the user holds the device in landscape mode, the handwriting is not recognized. The impression device can't determine the orientation, so it should be done automatically. Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Best Answer

Dear Benke,

thank you for contacting us.

Currently, I am not sure to understand your point.

Normally, simply ensuring the app switches in landscape mode will solve the behavior.

Unfortunately, if the device doesn't have any sensor to determine the orientation, we unfortunately have no way to determine the orientation and "rotate" the ink coordinates.

Best regards,

Olivier

Answer

Dear Benke,

thank you for contacting us.

Currently, I am not sure to understand your point.

Normally, simply ensuring the app switches in landscape mode will solve the behavior.

Unfortunately, if the device doesn't have any sensor to determine the orientation, we unfortunately have no way to determine the orientation and "rotate" the ink coordinates.

Best regards,

Olivier

Thanks for your reply! :-)

I'm getting the pen data (X/Y coordinates) from an external Bluetooth writing pad, for example the Wacom Bamboo Slate.

I was wondering if your engine can determine the orientation based on the flow of the writing. Anyway, I have some methods to detect orientation, so my problem is solved more or less. :-)