Cloud Development Kit

Latency

Good afternoon,

I have been coding up a NodeJS RestAPI to interface with the MyScript API. All is going well and I am getting recognitions back from your API end point.

However I am concerned about latency. In my test scripts I am seeing response times of 700-1400ms. With 900ms being the average. I can see that 140-150ms is network latency (via a traceroute). I have to allow some latency due to my code, however when using Postman to hit the endpoint I am also seeing 900ms of latency.

I appreciate that coding WebSockets would help, but is there any guidance you can give with regards to the HTTP POST method?

Thanks

Phil

Dear Phil,

thank you for contacting us.

Currently, the REST API  will only send back the converted result when all the ink you sent to our server has been processed. From this, you understand the bigger the number of words in your data, the slower the response is.

Basically, how many words do you have in the pages you send to our servers?

Best regards,

Olivier

Good morning Olivier,

Thanks for getting back to me, my test data right now is just the word 'Hello'. I'm ahead of the client interface and don't have a wide variety of test data to play with yet.

I have to say that last week during my testing I was seeing times of ~1600ms for my first submission and then ~500-600ms for subsequent submissions. It looks like a large chunk of that initial time might be TLS setup.

Phil

Hi again,

I also see that you only have US West coast servers, which means a RTT of 142ms. I don't suppose you have plans for any European endpoints do you?

Thanks

Phil

Dear Phil,

thank you for the update.

Where are you currently based? Indeed, following your post, we did tests and got 220 ms latency for the "hello" word (we are based in France).

To answer your question, at present, we do not plan to have endpoints in Europe.

Best regards,

Olivier

Hi,

I appreciate the engagement, it's good to get feedback.

I am based in East Kent, England. So I would expect similar latency to yourself. Your 220ms cannot include TLS setup as that would be 3-4 RTT, which would be 450-600ms at a 150ms each RTT. However, it is promising that you would expect a processing time of 80ms.

I'm using NodeJS 8 with mocha and supertest to HTTPS FORM POST the data. Are you using WebSockets on a warm server or is it adhoc POST requests?

Thanks

Phil

Dear Phil,

currently, we will normally add the support of REST on the api V4. In theory, this should answer your use-case.

This should normally be released in June.

Best regards,

Olivier

Login or Signup to post a comment