General questions

Answered

Non Commercial Licensing

Hi,
I'm interested in using your product in a GPL application, or more accurately, to add supp;ort for recognising free-hand content in inkscape by way on an extension.

I couldn't see anything in your licensing agreement for non-commercial use.

If don't have any seperate licaensing agreement for Non Commercial software, I still may consider writeing and extension for Inkscape but making it available at a cost that covers any license fees I will have to pay.

Thanks a lot,
Oliver Stieber.

Best Answer

Dear Oliver,

thank you for contacting us and your question.

Indeed, you found the proper answer, i.e. the Apache 2 software License can be included on GPLv3 projects.

Best regards,

Olivier

I found the answer in the license on git-hub:

The Free Software Foundation considers the Apache License, Version 2.0 to be a free software license, compatible with version 3 of the GPL. The Software Freedom Law Center provides practical advice for developers about including permissively licensed source.

Apache 2 software can therefore be included in GPLv3 projects, because the GPLv3 license accepts our software into GPLv3 works. However, GPLv3 software cannot be included in Apache projects. The licenses are incompatible in one direction only, and it is a result of ASF's licensing philosophy and the GPLv3 authors' interpretation of copyright law.

Answer

Dear Oliver,

thank you for contacting us and your question.

Indeed, you found the proper answer, i.e. the Apache 2 software License can be included on GPLv3 projects.

Best regards,

Olivier